Thursday, June 11, 2009

Repeat after me

It is a waste of money to stock up on perennials before the end of season sales start.

Please remind me of this next year, and the year after that, and the year after that.

Every year, I get all excited and want to go out and buy boatloads of plants. Most years I do. Every year, only a month after gardening season starts, I stock up AGAIN on even better plants and rock bottom prices.

Case in point:
Last year, I bought three astilbes that were about 4" high. They cost $12 each. They didn't survive the winter.

This year, I bought three astilbes that are about 2' high and full. They cost $5 each, and at that price I don't care if they survive the winter.

I guess it's like any discount shopping: you've got to be willing to pick through the junk to find the good stuff. Plants and colours are limited; but I've never been a person who believes that gardens should be colour coordinated anyway.

I also bought four (Count them 1-2-3-4) peony plants. I love peonies. I think they're the perfect plant for the back yard, because they're full, they've got beautiful blooms and they're green all season. Even better, at the end of the season I can hack them down to the ground. (Plants in the back yard must be able to disappear over the winter so that Tula and I can romp in the snow until our hearts are content, and not worry about what we're trompling.)


I held back, and wouldn't let myself by annuals yet, but they're dirt cheap too. I just need to plant what I've got now, and then I can fill up again. :)


Off to go plant stuff....

2 comments:

  1. Iris are my first love cause they just scream summer to me but I love peonies too. We have three but I didn't have to pay for them they came with the house! What the heck am I saying they were the most expensive peonies I have ever bought! They came with a house though!

    I am hoping we are going to get to see pictures of the stuff you are off to plant.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love iris too. I should be able to grow them here (I know people who do) but I've killed every iris that I've ever planted.

    The gardens are pretty green right now, but there isn't many blooms. It's been a really slow year for gardens around here. I will take pictures when things finally bloom, though.

    ReplyDelete