Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Doctors, plants and books - oh my.

Today was a sick day. I went to work, hoping that the day would get easier as it went on, but ended packing it in mid morning. I hate doing that. The amount of sick time that I've wracked up in the last year is embarrassing, but sometimes I can't just push through.

The anemia and the low albumin continue to be a problem. With that comes a bevy of symptoms that come and go, and have stumped my general practitioner. As much respect as I've got for my doctor, he seems to have run out of ideas. In the last month or so, he has started to throw out Hail Mary's, and suggesting that maybe my problems are caused by a sleep disorder or possibly mental issues.

I agreed to go see a psychologist. I don't think that it would hurt anybody to get a mental health checkup, and I'm actually looking forward to that appointment. However, I'm going more out of curiosity than because I think it'll help my current health issues. I'm quite sure that I am not imagining the swollen feet, the tingly sensations or the foggy brain.

My dad, on the other hand, isn't buying the Hail Mary's. He's the one who asked for the tests that reported the low albumin in the first place (Back Seat Doctor, anyone?!?) and then he demanded that my GP give me a referral to go see an internist. Honestly, that's a medical specialty that I didn't know existed; but if it'll help figure out what's going on, I'm all for it.

The referral was made, the appointment is this week. Hopefully progress will be made.

The Zadge's sista kindly provided a suggestion as to what the mystery plant might be, and requested a closer picture for more details. I wish I could comply, but this is what happened shortly after I posted the previous blog entry.


Garden pictures will not be available until further notice.

Keeping it in the family, the Zadge told her readers to stop what they're doing and to read Little Bee by Chris Cleave. She's a smart woman. I started reading it yesterday; and although I'm not done yet, I already agree. Excellent, excellent book.

In other news, the basement continues to flood. Not a lot, but water is still trickling in. There isn't a crack in the foundation that I can see, but it's weeping in from an area that was repaired a few years ago. Either the crack wasn't repaired properly, or else they damaged the weeping tile while they were working on the foundation. If they did that, which I suspect it is, water is pooling at the base of the foundation and soaking in through the foundation. The only way that I know of to fix that is to dig down to the weeping tile and replace it. Since the builder is MIA, and both insurance and New Home Warranty are unwilling to help, I'm going to be out a lot of money again. I'm not sure if it's funny, ironic or just plain sad that this problem cropped up on the day that I signed a contract for a brand new roof on my 5 year old house.

3 comments:

  1. That snow photo made me feel so faint, I had to add some *special medicine* to my coffee! ;)

    I am so sorry about the basement problem. That is just salt in the wounds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have an Internist and we are at the Hail Mary stage in our relationship. The basement problem stinks on many levels. I'm wondering of the Zadge's Sista could derive what it is from the original post photo which is a much closer shot. I'm dying to know what it is. Okay maybe just real curious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The snow and the whole basement thing are a PIA! It would be so nice if someone could figure out the health thing :) Thinking about you Janice.

    ReplyDelete