Sunday, May 2, 2010

Shade gardens and spring flowers

I'm trying something new this year to start off a new garden. I read that if you cover a grassy area up with dark plastic for a month or so, the grass underneath with die and the ground will get quite soft so that you can till it in easily. That seems better than spraying chemicals to kill the grass, and a whole lot easier than manually digging it out, so I figured I'd give it a try.

It doesn't look very good right now. In fact, I think that corner of the yard is looking like a junk yard; but it'll be a shade garden in a month or so. I'm thinking of lots of ferns, a few bleeding hearts and maybe a few hostas.




In other parts of the garden, more progress is being made.

Daffodils are blooming

The seedum is too...


And the mystery plant continues to be a star.

I really need to figure out what it is.

3 comments:

  1. The flowers resemble those of Evolvulus, but the foliage looks different--maybe same family. Not sure where you are, and so don't know what grows there.

    Maybe a close-up?

    --the Zadge's Sista

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've done that plastic thing and it worked pretty well but a big brindle Boxer works pretty well too if you just start a hole for him. I've got one you can borrow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting, our sedum hasn't even given a hint of blooming!

    ReplyDelete