Tuesday, May 11, 2010

I am a snob

I went window shopping at lunch today... the kind of window shopping where you tell yourself you're going to get a treat, but in truth you know deep down in your heart that it's not going to happen.... and if it does happen, you'll be returning whatever you did buy the next day.

While I was window shopping, I was looking for new shoes. I've been wearing the same black shoes almost every day for a year, and they've stretched out so much that they don't stay on. I do have a serious need for new shoes. But they're not going to be in the budget for the foreseeable future.

ANYWHO... shoe shopping. It occurred to me that either I am really very narrow minded in what shoe styles I'll wear, or the styles that are out right now suck the big one.

I hate - Hate - peep toe boots. Some day, in the not too distant future, peep toe boots are going to be to this decade what mullets and skinny headbands were to the 80's. And we're not even done the first year of this decade.

Mary Janes should not have heals. Mary Janes are supposed to be flats.

Wedges are the roots of all evil.

And it was downhill from there. I had such bad luck not buying myself a pair of new shoes, I had no choice but to go oogle and not buy the new plate settings that I've been craving for months and have no plans to buy.

Then I got home, and I went online to buy some books. Really buy some books. Books are still my biggest financial vice. I know some people are supporters of libraries; and I think they're great in theory. I just can't handle the thought of finding other people's lunch, snot and toe jam between the pages of the book. So, I buy new. Books are the single one thing I haven't cut back on since I started this huge effort to cut back financially. I buy a lot.

I ordered three new books:
Case Histories, by Kate Atkinson
The Help, by Kathryn Stockett
Sh*t My Dad Says, by Justin Halpern


Either way, the point of this snobbiness story is that I am about 100 pages away from finishing my last book... we're talking some serious desperation this weekend. (Actually, I'll probably reread something, but that doesn't sound nearly as dramatic.) Either way, there's some time sensitivity to this order. I want it right away.

So, why, you might ask, will there be a 6 week delay? I wanted the original cover for The Help. For some reason, the cover of the book that's available now is different.

This is what it's been for months:

This is what's available now:


I am fully aware that the story inside the two covers will be exactly the same. The problem is, my first thought when I saw the new cover was that they made a movie from this book, and the people in that picture are actors in the movie. I have no idea if it's true, but I cannot stand having books once they're made into movies and the covers are changed to show the actors. I hate it, I really do. I have to have the book, and to have read it before it was a movie. I have to have read it before it became super popular. I have to a be a front runner.

Or, at least I have to appear to have been a front runner.

It's so important that I'm a front runner and have this book in its original cover that I'm willing to wait six weeks until it's reprinted. Yep, I'll delay buying a book so that it can seem like I bought it right away. It's all kind of logical, I know.

And no, I didn't consider running down to Chapters to see if they have one on the shelf that's available now.
That would make too much sense.

3 comments:

  1. I'm a book buyer instead of a borrower too!! And The Help was great! I love Kate Atkinson too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shoes, ugh. I have a brown pair and a black pair and I bought them both about 5 years ago when real shoes were still in fashion.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Janice now I don't feel so bad :) I used to take 8-10 books home from the library and I would bring them home and use Clorox wipes on them. Now I just load them to my phone cause I have the Kindle app. I feel terrible, I said I would NEVER do a Kindle kinda thing because of my need to hold that book! But being out here in the boonies it sure is convenient. I still buy the ones I want to add to my fav book shelf. I loved The Help. I get the whole cover thing too :)

    ReplyDelete