Monday, May 10, 2010

The Sample Fairy

The sample fairy came by today while I was at work...

Uh... OK. He's a big, burly, surprisingly good looking guy who would probably beat me up if he knew I called him a fairy.

...The roofing contractor came by today, and dropped off the colour samples for the new roof. He told me to pick one or two, and he'll bring out full-sized samples of them. Keeping in mind that these are man made, the colours will vary some and there will be highlights and shading in whatever I pick.

Right away, I narrowed my choice down to three. I've included black in these pictures as an option because it's the safe route; but I don't think I'll go with it. I've driven around and checked out some houses in town with the black, and I don't think I love it.

The colour choices from left to right are:

Timber Ridge
Western Sand
Lava Black
Almond Buff

Against the brick:

Yep... the floor of my front porch is purple. I love it. Not everybody else does.

Against the siding:

In the sun. The first two pics were taken in the shade.
I mixed up the order of the colours. I had to make sure that you were paying attention.


This is what I'm starting with, to give you an idea of the colours. The fence is pretty close to the cream trim, and since I live on a corner lot, its colour will probably matter as much as the house. Most people see my house from the back and side, which is just the solid taupe colour, with the cream trim and fence.



Way back in the beginning, before I picked concrete as my roofing material of choice, I was hoping to find something in a light beige-y cream. Then, I decided - for no reason that I can explain - that chocolate brown would be the way to go.

My initial thoughts:
  • The brown (timber ridge) is pretty good, but the dark will impact the heat of the house in the summer.
  • The beige (almond buff) is probably the most energy efficient colour choice, but I think it may be too close to the colour of the siding.
  • The mauve (western sand) is probably my favorite right now. It wasn't even really in the race until I realized how closely it matches the purple of the front porch. But - do I want to commit myself to a purple roof for the next 80-100 years? Probably not.


One other thought... some day down the road... 10-15 years from now, I'd like to change the siding to a light grey/blue board and batten

6 comments:

  1. Weren't you just out house-shopping?! I'd go for the timber ridge - nice contrast to the lighter part of the house.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wasn't really house shopping. A house came to my attention that could have a lot of potential, so I had a look. It actually reiterated to me that I want to stay here - but I'll have to fix the roof and the leaky foundation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It drove me nuts when I had someone telling what color I wanted. Now it drives me nuts that I have no one to ask (even if I might not listen). You just go with what works for you.
    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the brown also, but I'm surprised they don't offer a "blend" like your current roof.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the timber ridge but I got all befuddled when you said you were thinking about changing the siding! I am just a brown, taupe kinda gal. I have grey siding now and I want your color :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Brown is probably what I'll go with.

    The lighter tiles have more colour variations. The darker ones, like the chocolate brown, charcoal or black don't. They'll be one solid colour. I like the idea of the variations, but I don't love the lighter colours. They're either too yellow, too pink or too orange.

    ReplyDelete