Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Random Monday

Yes, I know. It's Tuesday, but yesterday was a stat holiday so it feels like a Monday today. Things are all out of whack.

My cat, who is very lucky that I love him, sat on my desk last night while I was perusing Facebook, and happily munched down my wormy seeds. I can't tell you how happy I am that I smushed that worm for nothing. I'd blame him, but how does one not notice the cat that's sitting on the desk in front of you eat the seeds in the bowl that's also in front of you until the bowl is empty? My only hope is that maybe if I don't clean it, there might be some pretty flowers in the litter box in a few weeks. (Kidding.)

My friend Sean, who I met when he was a peace officer for a town north of here and therefore not a threat to me in any way, recently got a job as a peace office/traffic cop for the city. He started last week. Today, I came bombing down the road home, and saw Sean standing on the corner. I waved happily before I realized that he was running a speed trap. I may have - perhaps - been going over the speed limit.

A little.

All I can say is that the reason Sean didn't wave back better be because he didn't see me, and not because he was getting ready to fire me a nasty little surprise in the mail. Shouldn't there be a rule about giving your friends speeding tickets?

I made a yummy dinner last night, from my new cook book. (Slow Cooker, by Cooking Light - original name, eh?) It's called Picadillo, and I can't explain what it is, other than to say it's a Latin American dish with ground round, dried fruit, lots of onions, tomatoes, olives and almonds. Except, typing this reminded me that I forgot the almonds. I served it on rice because the recipe said to, but next time I think I'll use couscous. Either way, my only complaint is that I now have enough of this stuff to serve a football team. I love trying something new and having it work out.

Tonight, it's corn on the cob for dinner. The first of the season.

8 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you make it in a crock pot? Is that why it is called Slow Cooker? I've been planning on buying one soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Katie's Mom. I know how I found you. :) After reading a few of your comments, I clicked on your link and read your blog. I love it, and aspire to having a front porch rocker kind of life myself one day.

    Is slow cooker a Canadian term? It's the same as crock pot, only I never say crock pot. Either way, I have three of them, of various sizes. I use them way more often than I do the oven, in fact it isn't unheard of for me to have two or three of them on the go at the same time. (You should try slow cooker cakes ... they are to die for.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd keep a close eye on that litter box you never know.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Corn on the cob. Excellent idea.

    Perhaps you could substitute lavatera seeds for the almonds? I hear they're quite delicious. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mmmm corn on the cob. Flowers in the litter pan, interesting. I love slow cooker food :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Okay, so every so often I go brain dead and yesterday was one of those days. I now realize the P.S. in my comment above makes no sense to you. The referenced remark was triggered by another blogger. However, I stand by the rest of my comment. I do look forward to and enjoy your writings. Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.

    ReplyDelete
  8. ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh noooooooo about the wormy seeds :-(

    assuming they were tasty.

    I wish I was friends with a traffic cop.

    ReplyDelete