Sunday, May 30, 2010

Every Pot in the House

Inspired by yesterday's enforced popcorn for dinner, I hit the grocery store and then went about making some healthy meal options.

First, Tofu Stir Fry
I marinated pressed tofu in the following for a few hours:
  • 1 crushed clove of garlic
  • 1/4 tsp of grated ginger
  • 3/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
  • 1/4 apple juice
  • 1/3 cup light brown sugar
  • 2 Tbsp of ketchup
  • 1 Tbsp of cider vinegar
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 1/3 cup low salt soy sauce
Then stir fried carrots, cauliflower, broccoli, green onions and some peppers before adding in the tofu and marinade (there's a lot of marinade... probably too much) and served it over quinoa.

That was lunch, and will be lunch for a few more days.

(For those people with tofu phobias, chicken works well here instead of tofu.)

Then I set about making veggie broth. I don't use prepackaged broth because of the salt content, and I can't bring myself to make meat broth. (I don't buy or eat meat that comes with skin or bones, because I live in denial.) I found this recipe for broth a few years ago, and use it for everything that calls for broth, regardless of the flavour the recipe calls for. I doubt anybody can tell the difference.

  • 1 parsnip
  • 4 carrots
  • a bulb of garlic, separated by not peeled
  • 1 onion, cut into quarters
  • 3 stalks of celery
  • coarsely chopped parsley, to taste
  • 1 tsp salt (I usually skip this)
  • 1 tsp of pepper
  • 1 tsp turmeric
(Truth is, I usually use whatever veggies I have on had. Broccoli and cauliflower stalks and mushrooms almost always end up in there too. I would not recommend that you include brussels sprouts or asparagus, though. Those give the broth a distinct aura of eau de cat pee.)

Basically, throw it all in a big pot. Fill with water and boil the snot out of it. Then, let cool, drain, distribute into 2 cup portions and freeze.

Then, on to the corn chowder.
The corn on the cob that I bought last week was so good that I stocked up when I went back. Then reality hit, and I clued into the fact that, regardless of how good it is, I'm not going to want to eat corn on the cob six nights this week. I boiled the corn, then scraped it off the cob, leaving me about 4 cups of corn. I saved a cup for corn salsa, but used the rest for chowder.

  • 1 onion diced.
  • 3 cups of corn, divided
  • 4 cups of homo milk
  • 4 potatoes, diced and boiled until soft
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp of pepper
  • 1 Tbsp of chives
Brown the onions, add 2 cups of the corn, everything else. Heat but don't boil. After 10 minutes or so, use your submersible blender to blend about half way to thicken. (If you don't have a submersible blender, get one. Trust me.) Then, add the last cup of corn and heat some more. Serve with a side of sour dough bread and topped with about 1 tbsp of grated cheddar in each bowl.

Tomorrow will be the pork roast. I'll cook it up in the slow cooker, serve with a side of roasted veggies (probably cauliflower and asparagus) and topped with corn salsa.

Before I do that, though, I need somebody to come over and do my dishes for me.
Any volunteers?

4 comments:

  1. Oh gosh I live in denial too. I think the Tofu stir fry sounds good and will have to give it a try. I'll probably stick some shrooms in there too. About the dishes, if I was closer, sure I'd come do some dishes :) Only no snow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, while you're here painting the living room wall, I'll do your dishes. Now we just need one of those star trek goodies to beam us from one place to the other. I do believe I'll have to try the tofu stir fry, sounds yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are the dishes done yet? Tofu scares me but roasted vegitables yum, yum.

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow - you are kickin' butt in the kitchen!

    ReplyDelete