Sunday, May 23, 2010

Worms

I discovered lavatera flowers about ten years ago. My neighbour across the street had them, and gave me some of her seeds. Ever since then, I've been growing them each year from seeds that I harvested from previous crops.

The problem is the worms. Worms, gross me out.


If you think that's bad, you don't know nuthin. Those, my friends, are the seeds.

Every year, I muster up the nerve to clean out the seed pods and collect enough of these wormy looking seeds to plant the flowers that I want. Every. Single. Freaking. Year. I end up smushing a real worm that I've mistaken as a seed and tried to remove it from the pod.

Next year, I think I'm going to do it the old fashioned way, and pick up a packet of seeds on my way through the Home Depot.

3 comments:

  1. ain't nothin' wrong with the old fashioned way :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with the stop at HD but 17 years ago I gave my friend a cutting from my grandmothers Christmas Cactus and it's still alive so I lean toward harvest the old and keeping the heritage alive.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the idea of keeping the heritage alive :)

    ReplyDelete