Saturday, May 1, 2010

Whipping Cancer

I had a Pampered Chef party at my house today. May is their "Whip Cancer" month, and hosts have the option of donating a portion of the profits from their show instead of getting discounts on items that they want to buy.

I've never hosted a sale-based party at my house before. I've always had the idea that if I didn't host one, then I wouldn't be obligated to go to these sorts of parties at other peoples' houses if I didn't want to.

I figured that a fundraiser for cancer would be a good reason to break that rule.

So, I spent last week cleaning the house, I bought flowers, and then I cooked.

Aren't these tulips pretty?
There's nothing like having a party as an excuse to buy some flowers.


I made Pioneer Womans's stuffed jalapeƱos, except I followed the recipe from her book. The recipe from her cook book is a little different, in that includes green onions and grated cheddar cheese, then spreading BBQ sauce on them before cooking. I did it the way the book said, and they were a big hit.

I also did baked brie with some Raspberry Habanero sauce poured over it... major yum... and a big plate of fresh fruit.

During the party, we all worked together to make a trifle, which turned out a bazillion times better than I expected (I don't normally like trifle, but this was OMG Good.)

Long story short: we ate, we had fun and we raised over $250 for cancer research today. That's not a bad day at all in my book.


3 comments:

  1. Good on you Janice. That is a fantastic thing to come up with $250 for cancer research. Congratulations!

    Dang. Wish I'd been there. Not only did your party support a great cause, you had wonderful FOOD!!! Love the flower vase with Lady Beetle :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a great time, with great food and supports a great cuase, I'd attend one too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wasn't aware Pampered Chef, or any of the home party, sales groups did this donation. I don't do home parties, but if I can raise money to fight cancer, I just might rethink it. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete